Community Information for Greene, New York
At the heart of the Town of Greene is the Village of Greene. While not located in any of the major growth corridors of the state, the Town of Greene has close physical ties to Binghamton and Norwich. Many residents of the Town of Greene work shop or have other business in Binghamton and Norwich. State Highway 12 is a major highway in the Town of Greene and provides direct access to both Binghamton and Norwich, as well as the major highway systems of the state.
The Town of Greene is located in a beautiful rural setting, with a low crime rate, clean air and water, and little congestion. It is only a 30 minute drive from the State University of New York at Binghamton, which is intended by New York State to be a high-tech incubator and support center for the development of technology companies. The Town is not subject to great development pressure at this time, and therefore has time and opportunity to plan for and guide its future in the direction most desired by residents.
The first European settlement in the Town of Greene was initiated by Stephen Ketchum in 1792 on the bank of the Chenango River. The settlement was viable and grew due to the fertile fields along the river and ease of access to markets using water transportation. Captain Joseph Juliand arrived in 1797, and purchased 300 acres along the Chenango River. The house he built in 1810 is the oldest house in Greene.
The settlement consisted of thirteen log cabins when the Town of Greene held its first Town meeting in 1798. At that first meeting, the settlement was given the name "Hornby", but in 1806 the US government renamed the settlement in honor of General Nathaniel Greene. Also in 1806, the Village of Greene was laid out to be one square mile. Important to the economic development of the area was the establishment of two turnpikes running through the Town, one connecting the Catskills to Bath via Ithaca, and one connecting the Susquehanna region west to Bath, and. Also of importance was the opening of the Chenango Canal from Utica to Binghamton in 1837.
Early manufacturing companies such as The Raymond Corporation, The Page Seed Company and Najarian Silk Mill (known now as L. A. Najarian, Inc. have contributed to the stability and growth of the Greene community over time. George Lyon began an iron works in 1840 that attracted George Raymond, Sr. in the early 1900’s. The Raymond material handling business began when Raymond bought out Lyon. The Page Seed Company, started in 1896, is still a family owned business. L. A. Najarian, Inc. is one of two mills in the United States that still makes hat bands.