Town Clerk & Vital Statistics


The Town Clerk is an elected position, for a four-year term.  The role of the Town Clerk as Clerk of the Town Board is very important.  The Town Clerk must attend every meeting and keep a written record of all proceedings of the Town Board even though he or she is not a member of the Town Board and does not have a vote on matters coming before the Town Board. 

Marriage Licenses – Those planning to be married in the State of New York must first purchase a Marriage License at least 24 hours in advance. The license is valid for 60 days. Couples may come to the Town Clerk’s Office with Photo Identification, Birth Certificates, and if either person has been previously married, proof of what circumstances ended the previous marriage(s) must be presented. Examples include: death certificate or divorce papers.

Handicap Tag - Disabled persons must complete NYS form MV-664.1 (available at the Town or at the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles) and have the physician portion completed. Present the completed form to the Town Clerk for issuance of tag.

Sporting Licenses - We issue resident and non-resident sporting licenses and these are available as determined by New York State Department of Environmental Conservation.

Deborah Thomas
Town of Greene

P O Box 129

Greene, NY 13778
Phone: 607-656-4191 X215